To me debt is like a monster living under your bed. You know it's there, but you're too scared to face it. So you just pull the covers over your head, squeeze your eyes really tight, and just pray that it will magically go away.
But....when the monster is debt, it doesn't just magically go away. You can't escape it, the only way to beat it is to face it head-on.
But, we're scared of it, and we don't want to anger it, so we just kind of tiptoe through our lives because what would we do if it jumped out?
It would knock us down and it would leave us helpless...so it's just easier sometimes to avoid it. ...that was totally me back in the day!
Today, I want to share with you how to stop hiding from your debt.
Hit play to watch the video version of this blog!
(I'd love it if you shared with your friends!)
The thing about hiding from your debt is that sometimes we don't even realize that we're actually doing it. We think that the survival mode and the stress of having so much debt is just normal and that everybody lives this way, so we really don't think that it's a big deal. ...but we are in fact actually hiding from our debt.
Like for example....
- Have you ever avoided checking your bank account just because you didn't want to see how out of control your spending was?
- Have you ever thrown a bill straight into the trash because you knew that you weren't even going to pay it anyway?
- Have you ever begged a credit card company to up your limit just so you could have more spending money?
- Have you ever charged something on a credit card as silly as fast-food?
- Have you ever avoided answering a phone call from a random number because you were pretty sure that it was a bill collector?
....yeah, I've totally done all those things and probably a thousand more things. I was totally hiding from my debt and if you are I want to walk you through some steps of how to stop hiding from it!
1. Decide that you're done
You're done with debt! You're done tiptoeing through life to try to avoid that scary debt monster! Kick it out from underneath of your bed, tell it you're done, and that you're ready to start living an abundant life!
You deserve so much better than just survival mode. You deserve so much better than paying for mistakes that you made in the past.
Decide that you're done! You're not living this way anymore!
2. Get to work
Grab a piece of paper or grab my free Debt Payoff Worksheets and start adding up your debt!
We're shedding some light on this scary debt monster, we're figuring out exactly how much debt we're in, and how long it's going to take to pay it off. It's better than not knowing...even though it's scary...it's still better than not knowing!
Once you shed some light on this scary monster you're going to know exactly how big it is, exactly how scary it is, and then you're going to have to just roll up your sleeves and get to work on paying it off!
If you sign up in the box above you'll get these worksheets for free! They also come with a video with much more details explaining exactly how to go through every part of these worksheets.
Steps for grabbing these worksheets for free:
1. Enter your info
2. I'll send you a copy of these Free Worksheets + an instructional video to go with them
3. In that email I'll send you a link for a Google Sheets
4. In this Google Sheets you'll get the Monthly Debt Worksheet + the Weekly Debt Worksheet
5. You can use them on the computer + type everything in digitally or you can print the blank ones + write them out by hand...your choice!
Congratulations! You have officially stopped hiding from your debt!
I'm so proud of you!
Get to work on those worksheets, add up your totals...and even though it might seem overwhelming, it's not impossible! Trust me, our family had almost a-half-a-million-dollars worth of debt + 3 years later...through the sale of some real-estate, through lots of cutting back expenses, and tons of frugal tips....we are now almost completely debt-free!
...you know, it was really scary and I remember that first night of adding up our debt...it was $490,000 and I honestly had no idea how much debt we had! I remember that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach like, "How is this our real life?".
If we can do it, you can do it too! I totally believe in you!
Grab those worksheets, get to work, and let me know if you have any questions along the way!
Save this article to Pinterest with an image below!